Monday, March 17, 2008

Are there three people in this marraige?

On valentines day I overheard two girlfriends having this shocking conversation in the shopping mall
Friend : "Cookie yaar who's the most important person in your life?"
Cookie :(answered without batting an eye) "My kamvali bai yaar.!"
Friend : "Ya mine too.My life absolutely revolves around the bai.
She rules my house.Without her I am totally lost. Who will do all the dirty work yaar?"
Cookie: "Ya I cant do it even for a day . It depresses me so.
"Frend: "Hein na? After all that hard work in the office I just want to come home and stick my legs up. I am not doing any barten sharten."
They had found their comfort zone in each others hearts. No husband, mother in law or child in the family ever knew the dirty secret. that kamwali bai was more important than they were..
C: "I'll tell you a secret. My kamwali is not what she used to be before.I do so much for her but she still wants more and more.
"F: "Ya same like mine yaar. But I cant even let her quit . I lent her so much money that even if she works free for the next five years she wont be able to repay it.!"
C: "And her demands are going up and up yaar. She wants a salary hike every Diwali, a 25% bonus, an overtime @ twice normal pay every time we have guests, and new and improved mops all the time.First she was OK with nirma and now she just wants the latest detergents"
F: "I know. When mine started working at my place she was just another bai yaar, she used to do all the barten, kapda, zadu pocha for 300 rupees.Now I pay her 700 yaar."
C: "But she comes twice a day na?"
F: "Only for barten yaar, and she comes at 10 at night and makes so much noise with the barten. And she regularly breaks my coffee mugs."
C: "Mine breaks crokery too. When my old set is broken I have to buy a new set and then I give the bai all the old odd ones.Better than throwing it away."
F: "Yaar Cookie, she must be breaking the mugs on purpose. But I keep my mouth shut. If I had to clean dishes all the time, I would break them all in the very first hour yaar."And they burst into giggles like little school girls. Who would have thought that breaking dishes tickles your funny bone so.They did some more shopping. Then one of their mobile phones rang
C:" Haan bai bolo? Kya hua? Baccha bimar hein? OMG.Usey hospital lekar jao. Aur phikur mat karna, mein doctor ka pura kharch de doongi.Sham ko jarror ana.Riksha ka kharcha bhi doongi. ???Haan dono time ka, lekin jaroor ana bai. Mein wait karoongi raatko.!!"
F: "Yaar cookie toomne kamwali ko sar pe chadha rakha hein!". Suddenly her mobile phone rang too,it was her kamwali bai."Hello bai? kya hua? wapas sharab peeke peetayi kar raha hein?Ek kaam karo, tuum mere ghar chale jao, chay waay piyo, fridge me samosen hein woh khao.Aur mein aati hoon.Phir dekhte hein. Haan TV dekho aramse.Accha !"
Both of them hurridly did their shopping and rushed home to their respective kamvali bais.I was shocked to my bones. Is that what happens in the modern working women's home in mumbai? Its like the kamvali bai is replacing the housewife here.
(Are there three people in this marraige?)

No comments: